Improve Windows speed and performance: Over time, Windows has an unfortunate tendency to become clogged. It starts, closes and runs slowly.
Improve Windows speed and performance – Possible pre-decontamination
How to Accelerate Windows and Increase Computer Performance
The causes of slowness, or slowdown, of a computer under Windows, are numerous and can include:
- The lack of disk space
- The lack of RAM
- The presence of many installed programs (even if they are not running)
- The presence of residues left after the execution of certain programs (temporary files not erased, cached files not erased, etc …)
- The execution of very many programs launched automatically at the start of Windows whereas they are totally useless at this time
- Running unnecessary programs, throughout the work session, silently, in the background
- Data Corruption
- Corruption of operating system files
- Corruption of disk surfaces (wear)
- Corruption of the file management system ( FAT – NTFS , etc.)
- Fragmentation of files on the Hard Disk
- The absence or the delay of updates of Windows or the other components ( pilots , plugins , etc.)
- A possible contamination (but the slowness of a PC under Windows does not necessarily mean that there is an infection of the computer).
All of the above possible causes must be investigated, even if, to reassure yourself, one begins by performing a standard anti-malwares decontamination procedure .
Many forms of ” computer pests ” who are not ” virus ” but generically, the ” Malignancies ” ( ” Malware “) are embedded in computers because of a lack of preparation browsers , lack of updates to the operating system , lack of updates additional technologies , lack of activation of certain protections, etc. … To reassure themselves, or to really eliminate the parasites, probably responsible for some of the slowdowns:
Run the Performance Troubleshooter
This Microsoft utility is part of all versions of Microsoft Windows and can detect and solve some problems. It allows you to check the factors that can slow the performance of the computer.
Uninstall programs that are not used
Each program that is installed has the unfortunate tendency to spread all over the place, with many objects placed on the right or left, some of which can cause a slowing down because activated and useless (case of installation as “Service de Windows “started automatically, or entered in the Windows startup list to start automatically every time Windows starts, etc. …). This is one of the reasons for preferring ” portable ” versions of applications, when they are offered, rather than versions with installers (the other reasons being to avoid bundles , sponsors ,
Uninstall unnecessary programs, which you will never use again ( Be careful to only uninstall programs that are known to you and unnecessary.) Programs unknown to you must be searched to find out what it is .
Preferably, to uninstall a program, use the free version of Revo Uninstaller , which is sufficient, and choose, each time, the “Advanced” mode of uninstallation.
Special cases: Uninstalling security applications, such as antivirus, firewalls, security suites, etc. … passes through special utilities because such applications deeply enters the system, and normal uninstall procedures leave traces that may conflict with an installation / reinstallation of a security application.
Lower Windows Startup List
When Windows starts, a number of processes are started automatically. This list of processes, which we have become accustomed to call theWindows Startup List , is, in reality, a nebula of registrations in very many Windows registry locations and in various files.
A tool must be used to see all these processes grouped together as a homogeneous list.
With one of the tools listed below, remove the launch of almost everything (uncheck the boxes) except:
- Your antivirus and firewall (those you have chosen and not necessarily those suggested commercially by the manufacturer of your computer).
- The manager of your touchpad if your computer is a laptop and you do not use a mouse.
This will greatly speed up the time taken by Windows to boot and will free up a lot of RAM memory which will allow the applications you really need at a time T to run in a free memory space without recourse to memory Virtual , much slower.
What is this process? The PacMan Startup List
When you use a start list management tool, you will be confronted with sequences of process names that you do not know.
If you do a search on the web, you will come across hundreds of sites that claim to give you the meaning of a process name (of which they know absolutely nothing, the text they display coming from an automatic Texts) and, above all, they will frighten you by telling you, systematically , that we have seen cases where this process was a virus, a malware, or any other threat. Do you guess for what purpose? They try to get you a shit software (a scareware , a rogue , a crapware , etc …), pretending to accelerate, repair everything, save your life and that of your computer, making coffee and more, For just 30 € to 60 €,
- See the archetype of these attempts to scare you, Simplitec Power Suite , Simplitec Simplifast , Simplitec Simplisafe , Simplitec Simpliclean , Simplitec Simplicheck , Simplitec Power Suite Premium .
- See also: Scams to Clean Startup List, Registry and Windows, etc. …
There is only one credible tool, free, in English and under copyright, giving the real meaning of the processes found at the launch of Windows: the PacMan Startup List . Assiste.com is the sole repository in the world of a license to reproduce this list. The version on Assiste.com is officially translated by our moderator: nickW , on our forums . This list is downloadable for local use, in the form of a Windows help file.
There are many tools to “manage the Windows startup list “. Here are four (one of them being a Windows functions).
- MSConfig function in Windows Managing the Windows start
list with the Windows MSConfig command
- Using SpyBot Search & Destroy
SpyBot Search & Destroy has a tool to manage the Windows startup list interfaced with a database of meaning and tips to use each of the objects present. These meanings and advice come from real analyzes by experts.
- Using CCleaner
Managing the Windows Startup List with CCleaner
- Autorun (from SysInternals – a department of Microsoft)
Autorun goes far beyond MSConfig but is a bit (much) more “technical”. Use it only if you are an advanced user and master the restore of Windows if an error occurs.